Between running for a drip bucket every time it rains and having to constantly check the weather forecast, a leaky roof makes living difficult. Dealing with a leak in the roof is inconvenient. A leak also indicates a larger roofing issue, one that generally requires an investment of both time and money.
Expert Roofing Tips
Catching a leak early saves you both time and money. The following 5 common roof issues will help you determine whether your problem needs a simple fix or requires professional repair.
- Condensation in the attic: Indicators of this malady are mildew or mold growth, as well as a strong musty odor seeping down into the living area. Treat mold growth first; then isolate the attic to prevent any large fluctuations in temperature. Finally, install a large ventilation fan.
- Clogged gutters: Look for the lack of water coming from the downspout during a rainstorm. You can try cleaning these yourself, though we recommend calling the experts, because it can be a very dangerous process.
- Cracked chimney: Sometimes this can be fixed by finding the source of the leak and replacing the missing mortar. However, we recommend that you hire a professional, because materials for chimney repairs are different than those used for regular roofing repairs.
- The flashing is cracked: Flashing, thin pieces of metal installed under shingles, can be exposed or concealed. When it develops large cracks, it will leak. Once you find the leak source, pry the nails up, lift shingles out of the way and remove the cracked section. Gently place and secure a new section of flashing in its place using roofing nails. Finally, apply a coat of roofing sealant on the nail heads.
- Improperly installed skylights: These are easy to spot—look for wet spots around the sides of skylights. Check for cracks in the window itself, and seal these with clear silicone. If this isn’t the cause, check the surrounding flashing and replace as necessary.
Whether your roof is old or new, wear and tear is inevitable. With rainstorms, heavy winds, and long winters, your roof experiences a lot of stress. Use this list of the top five common causes of roof leaks while you work on home maintenance. With the correct care, each roof should be able to keep you and your family warm and dry for decades. Roofing and Construction LLC strive to be the roofing experts in the greater Seattle area. When you’re ready to replace your commercial or residential roof, send us an email or give us a call!
Expert Tips for Seattle Roof Leaks
Serving customers in Bellevue, Issaquah, Mercer Island,
Mill Creek, Mukilteo, Redmond, Snoqualmie